IHMS 2017 Speaker Presentation: Lucia Thornton, R.N.
An Overview of Holistic Nursing and the Model of Whole-Person Caring
This presentation will provide participants with the history, definitions, key concepts, and benefits of holistic nursing and the model of whole person caring.
Participants will learn:
- Describe the origins and founding of the American Holistic Nurses Association
- Discuss Holistic Nursing as a: Way of Being, Way of Living, and Way of Practice
- Explain the importance of redefining who we are as “Infinite and Sacred Beings” in guiding our health care practices
- Identify two key concepts in the Model of Whole – Person Caring
- Explain the centrality of “Therapeutic Partnering” in interprofessional collaboration
Professor Thornton has been involved in nursing, holistic healing and healthcare for over 25 years. Early in her nursing career she worked in various clinical settings including emergency and trauma, intensive care, school nursing, research and development and served as Director of Nursing Quality Assurance for the University of Miami Medical Center. Lucia’s desire to provide care for the dying prompted her to help develop one of the first inpatient hospice homes in the country. Lucia also helped create the national process of Board Certification for Holistic Nursing and served as the first Executive Director for the American Holistic Nurses’ Certification Corp. She also established and directed The Visions in Healthcare Council and the Institute of Health and Well Being to foster an awareness of health and healing in her community.
About the International Holistic Medicine Summit 2017
Join us in beautiful Unity Village, MO on June 12th – 15th for the International Holistic Medicine Summit hosted by Dr. C Norman Shealy,M.D., Ph.D. & Dr. Sergey Sorin M.D. from Shealy Wellness. There will be over twenty speakers and over 100 hours of can’t miss education and instruction by some of the leading minds in Holistic Medicine. Purchase tickets early for greatest savings!