C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph. D.
With the obesity epidemic comes the diabetes epidemic!?? Type 2 diabetes is almost exclusively the result of misbehavior!? Excess calories, junk food, sugar, artificial sweeteners, inadequate exercise and too much couch potato TV are the leading contributors. On my mothers side of the family ALL my cousins have type 2 diabetes. My sister died of complications of diabetes, as did an aunt.
- Fast food virtually 100% of fast food from McDonalds and its clones
- Fructose and high fructose corn syrup
- Artificially hydrogenated fats
- Virtually all commercial candy and cookies
- MSG—in almost all packaged foods, including soups
- Snack foods
- White flour
- Nearly 100% of store bought bread
- Mixes for making cakes, cookies, etc
- Most canned fruits
- Most boxed cereals
- Virtually all crackers
- Potato chips and all the similars
- E102 or FD&C Yellow 5)
- Sweet and Low
Since 45% of all food eaten in the U.S. is from the fast food junk restaurants and at least 60% of the food sold in grocery stores is junk, this means that approximately 80% of all American food is JUNK!!? Nabisco, Aunt Jemima, Post, General Mills, General Foods, KelIogg ,? Holsum, the unwholesome bread, Wonder Bread, the not at all wonderful bread, Campbells soups are all just as guilty as McDonalds and its clones of poisoning us with unhealthy and highly artificial food. Is it any wonder that we have epidemics of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer?? And of course our FDA has done less than nothing to improve health, since it allows these ridiculous companies to make claimS and to include such junk in their products. It is as guilty in the food industry as it is in allowing tobacco to be OTC.
So, how do you protect yourself?? First and foremost, avoid all the junk foods listed above. Cut your TV to a minimum and if you do watch, consider sitting on an exercise ball or standing on a trampoline!? Build up to 1 hour of good physical exercise DAILY!
Eat real foods:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- WHOLE grains especially brown rice, quinoa, amaranth
- Range fed chicken, turkey and when possible beef
- Wild Alaskan salmon
- Chromium, one mg daily of chromium picolinate or Tri-Chromium
- Cinnamon, one to several teaspoons daily
- Vanadyl sulfate, 7.5 to 10 mg daily
- Consider gymnema sylvestre, if you have an elevated blood sugar, 250 mg, 3/day
- Alpha lipoic acid, up to 300 mg daily
- Gugulipid, 250 mg, 3/day if you have diabetes
- Zinc picolinate, 50 mg
- If you have diabetes, avoid gluten and wheat!? See GLUTEN TOXICITY
KEEP YOUR BODY MASS INDEX BETWEEN 19 and 24. REDUCE YOUR STRESS! Type 2 diabetes is perhaps the easiest disease to avoid!!