DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone, is easily the single most important indicator of health reserves. In literally thousands of individuals, I have found that half of all adults are truly deficient and almost half have lower than optimal levels of DHEA. Low or deficient DHEA is found in every illness. Although low levels may exist for some years before major illness develops, the corollary is that individuals with optimal levels do not have any significant illnesses.
In general, DHEA levels begin to rise in adolescence and reach their peak at about 25 years of age. After age 30 DHEA levels begin to fall, so that by the mid 70’s levels may be 10% of the optimal level. BUT, healthy, happy, active seniors maintain a healthy level of DHEA.
The normal activities, which ensure optimal levels of DHEA, are:
- Joy and happiness
- An active sex life
- Physical exercise
- Body mass index of 19 to 24
- Outside activity-sunlight
- Adequate sleep and relaxation
In addition, there are four natural, safe techniques for restoring DHEA:
- Natural progesterone cream, Eugesterone, has been proven to raise DHEA 60 to 100% in most people. Men and women may benefit from on-fourth teaspoon on the skin twice daily. Menstruating women should use only from day 10 to day 28 or start of the next cycle. Patented procedure.
- Dr. Shealy’s Youth Formula, a patented formula that has been proven to raise DHEA 60 to 100%. It contains in a daily dosage 2 grams of vitamin C; one gram of MSM; 6 mg of Beta 1,3 glucan, and 60 micrograms of molybdenum.
- Dr. Shealy’s Magnesium Lotion, the only transdermal form of magnesium proven to raise DHEA 60 to 100%, while raising intracellular magnesium, an essential nutrient low in most people.
- Use of the SheLi TENS on 12 specific acupuncture points (trhe Ring of Fire), a patented procedure, proven to raise DHEA 60 to 100%.
The great news is that these 4 approaches are synergistic-that is they are additive. Together they raise DHEA levels up to 300%, safely. As long as the body restores, rejuvenates its own DHEA, it appears to be totally safe.
There is only one lab I have found reliable for DHEA levels: Nichols of Capistrano, California. 800-225-7483. I have no financial interest in this lab but it is accurate. At least 5 other labs have been totally unreliable, with variations of 50 to 300% in the levels on the SAME blood. Do not waste your blood, time or money on other labs!
Men – 750 to 1250 ng/dl
Women – 550 to 980 ng/dl
DHEA-Sulfate, DHEA-S levels may be reasonably accurate at most labs BUT DHEA-S has not been found to be as clinically reliable as DHEA. Salivary DHEA levels MAY be useful. If you go for those, be sure your levels are in the UPPER 50% of the lab range.
Do not take DHEA orally! There is some evidence that oral DHEA may exacerbate undiagnosed cancer of prostate, breast, ovary or uterus. DHEA may be prescribed for serious illnesses such as lupus erythematosis, multiple sclerosis, etc. BUT do not take it without careful physician monitoring.