Depression is the most common dis-ease in the world. At least 40% of Americans are clinically depressed and 20% are on antidepressants. Interestingly, a huge number of individuals on antidepressant drugs are still depressed! Indeed, the BEST antidepressant drug is reported in the PHYSICIAN’S DESK REFERENCE as 42% effective, with a minimum of 25% of patients having significant complications. Actually, 50% of men on antidepressants have serious erectile dysfunction! Antidepressant drugs are second only to statins in the number of prescriptions written.
Despite the medical profession’s push of antidepressant drugs, the drug management of depression is far less successful than a number of safe and effective alternatives. All depressed individuals have some degree of anxiety. Indeed, there are really two main categories of depression – anxious depression and depressed depression! In the latter, the depth of depression is so great that the anxiety is the lesser of the problems.
When a good medical evaluation has ruled out any medical illness, such as diabetes, etc, that needs treatment, then start with:
- Magnesium Lotion, 2 teaspoons on the skin twice daily
- Lithium Orotate, 20 mg daily, up to 45 mg
- B Complex 50 to 100 mg daily
- Physical exercise, 30 minutes daily, even a brisk walk
If more is needed:
- Tryptophan, 2000 to 3000 mg at bedtime, or
- Azenda (SAM-e), 200 mg twice daily
For anxiety, add:
- The Shealy RelaxMate, used 20 minutes twice during the day and an hour as you fall asleep at night
- Taurine, 500 mg, 6 daily
- Do the 90 DAYS TO STRESS-FREE LIVING program
If the above fails to give you total relief of depression:
- Use the Liss Cranial Electrical Stimulator, Shealy Series, one hour daily, preferably between 6 and 9 AM, but finishing not later than 1 PM. This device requires a prescription but it is entirely safe. The only contraindication is an implanted pacemaker or other implanted electronic device. The Liss puts out only up to 4 milliamps of current at 15,000 cycles, modulated at 15 and 500 cycles per second. I recommend only one or two milliamps, which does not usually elicit any skin sensation; but it will elicit a visual flicker at 15 cycles per second. It is so safe you can drive your car while wearing it, although I do not recommend that. But you can do your morning activities, eat, exercise, etc while using it.
Just using the Liss CES and the RelaxMate, 85% of patients, who have failed other therapies, including antidepressants, respond well and are markedly improved within 2 weeks. Obviously, a healthy lifestyle assists this process and optimizes the results. Most patients who follow this program will benefit long-term from the use of the Liss occasionally and from the RelaxMate frequently. A diet with at least 5 servings of fruits or vegetables and at least 4 ounces of meat, chicken or fish is essential. Avoiding junk and ”fast” food is also just common sense. Ideally ultimately an hour of exercise a day is also valuable. Remember this approach is TWICE as effective as the best antidepressant, without any complications. In the long run, it is far less expensive and far safer and more effective than drugs!!
Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D. is the father of holistic medicine. He recommends autogenic focus (the basis of the Biogenics System) as part of your overall commitment to self-health. Register to download your FREE autogenic focus MP3 now.